11/29/22 update: Important Enrollment Requirements
Spring 2023 ENROLLMENT REQUIREMENTS FOR F-1 STUDENTS:
PLEASE NOTE: Effective Spring 2023, all international students on an F-1 Visa must enroll in a minimum of 12 units and only 1 online class can count toward the required 12 unit minimum.
For the Spring 2023 semester, please adjust your schedule to on-ground and hybrid sections of your classes with no more than 1 online class. Remember that only one (1) online course will count towards the 12 unit requirement. The rest of your courses must be on-ground or hybrid.
If you need help finding and enrolling in on-ground or hybrid courses for Spring 2023, please speak with an International Student Counselor by joining a Zoom Express session.
New F-1 Regulations and Travel to the U.S. Update
Great news on F-1 visa and travel regulations for continuing Fall 2022 international students.
The U.S. is lifting travel restrictions and is reopening its schools and businesses. There is no better or safer time to resume your studies at Santa Monica College.
Continuing Students travel to the U.S.:
Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement for Entry to the U.S.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has announced a new order for all air passengers traveling to the United States.
Effective November 8, 2021, all F-1 Visa students traveling to the United States will be required to be fully vaccinated prior to boarding an airplane to the United States.
PLEASE NOTE: The Center for Disease Control (CDC) has confirmed that for purposes of travel to the U.S., vaccines approved or authorized by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or on the World Health Organization (WHO) emergency use listed (EUL) vaccines will be accepted. Click here for a list of approved vaccines.
Exceptions to this policy will be extremely limited and may apply to:
- Children under 18
- People medically unable to receive the vaccine
- Emergency travelers who do not have timely access to a vaccine
Here are a few important things to keep in mind:
- Consular sections overseas may be able to expedite your interview date if there is an urgent need such as school start date. The process to request an expedited nonimmigrant visa interview varies by location. You should refer to the instructions on the website of the Embassy or Consulate Visa Section where you will interview, or on their online appointment scheduling site. You will need to provide proof such as your I-20 for an earlier appointment.
- IMPORTANT: if you plan to re-enter the United States, you may need to obtain a travel signature for your I-20. Please contact the International Education Center at Intled@smc.edu at least two (2) weeks before you travel.
Information for Current Students
- F-1 Regulations
- City of Santa Monica
- How to Work in the U.S.
- California Driver's License
- International Student Activities
- Foreign Consulates in L.A.
- Connections Newsletter
- Corsair Athletics
- Student Clubs
- International Education Week
- SMC Global Citizenship
- Counseling Services
- Assessment Tests and Waivers
- Foreign Coursework
- Transferring to a University
- Degrees and Certificates
- Common Questions