Discover Ombudsperson Navigation Guide
- Attempts to bring harmony between differing points of view regarding faculty and students.
- Listens to students' concerns.
- Explains campus policies.
- Explains the grade appeal process.
- Acts as a neutral resource between student and faculty member.
- Facilitates communication between and among individuals.
- Counsels faculty to minimize potential conflict.
- Coach students on how to talk to faculty and staff.
- Offers information on grade appeal prevention to students and faculty.
- Refers individuals to others as appropriate.
- Acts as an informal resource to students, faculty, and staff.
- Keeps information confidential except as required by law.
At Santa Monica College, the Ombudsperson does not:
- Change grade
- Change policies
- Take part in formal grievance processes
Video/Online appointments can be made by selecting an available day and time.
Note: There is limiting availability for appointments made with Ombudsperson.
You will be asked to explain your complaint and briefly indicate the nature of your problem. You will also be asked to consider a solution to your problem. It is especially helpful if your complaint is specific and one that can be addressed either by the ombudsperson or by someone else. You will be able to discuss your complaint(s) with the ombudsperson. The visit is informal and confidential, except as required by law.