Discover Tutoring's Navigation Guide
Tutoring helps students gain comprehension and confidence in building learning skills. Tutoring services promote student success including:
- One-on-One Tutoring
- Group-Tutoring and Supplemental Instruction
Grammar Review (Writing & Humanities)
SMC has various tutoring services available, step 3 offers tutoring labs available on campus, in addition to different tutoring subjects, types of tutoring modalities, and contact information.
Drop-In Tutoring Session Benefits:
- Resourceful when students have a question on the spot.
- Tip: Complete homework assignments or review during open labs, when you experience a challenge,drop-in and ask for clarifications.
Pre Scheduled Tutoring Appointments
- Pre-booked appointments are scheduled once the student has completed an assignment or homework and needs clarification.
- We suggest making appointments ahead of time to help benefit you.
- Example: If you complete your homework on Monday nights, check to see what tutors or session occurs on Tuesdays so you can connect with an available tutor.
- Tip: Have all of your documents and questions pre-loaded in the appointment system, to provide the tutor with time to review.
Tutoring requires pre-scheduled appointments or drop-in appointments.
- Drop-In Based: Math/ SI/ STEM
- Pre-Scheduled Appointments: (WC-Online): Business, CSIS, ESL, Modern Language, Science Tutoring/Learning Resources, and Writing & Humanities Center.
Tutoring strengthens students learning skills and how to become successful lifelong learners and academic scholars. Learn how to achieve a successful tutoring session:
- Bring relevant materials, such as lecture notes, assignments, book, and graded tests.
- Have specific questions you want to ask the tutor.
- Do your homework (attempt all questions) to identify what you truly need assistance with.
- Make a note as to where you struggle, this will save time in the tutoring session, getting directly to solving the problem.
- Establish a goal ahead of time for the tutoring session and tell your tutor exactly what you hope to accomplish.
- Remember established goals.
- Take notes during the tutoring session on such things as explanations and instructions for working through problems.
- Explain to the tutors your learning style and how you approach or think about a problem so that the tutor can help you accordingly.
- Pay close attention to how the tutor approaches a problem so that you can try that method when the tutor is not around.